Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Orange Beach to Demopolis

Today was a great day.  It started with a 30+ rough ride up Mobile Bay. I topped off all of my tanks and headed north into the flooded Tombigbee Waterway.  The river was full of debris (trash, leafs, small sticks, large sticks, logs, entire trees, and an old waterheater.)  On top of that I was fighting a 4 mph current all day.  I had to keep my speed under 40 to save fuel so I had no trouble navigating through the almost constant debris.   At one point I got some trash stuck in my intake and I lost power and had a bad vibration.  Once I cleared the intake  the Waverunner was back to top running  condition until I got to the fuel dock at Bobbys Fish Camp.... 
The first lock of the day was the quickest I've been in the whole trip.  The river was flooded enough that the lock only raised me up about 4 feet.  Two miles up  from the lock was the fuel dock at Bobbys Fish camp. I filled the tanks and walked up to pay.  While I was off the ski,  a 5 foot tree branch lodged itself in my jet pump.  When I started up to go again an engine warning light came on and a warning buzzer went off.  It took me a few nerve racking minutes to find the problem  but it was an easy fix.  A few hours later I arived  at the Demopolis Yacht Basin.  After securing the  ski I spotted my first alligator of the trip.  I was shocked to see one this far up the river this early in the year.
Sorry i can't upload pictures today.  My phone is having water related issues and it was off most of the day.  I did get most of the day recorded on the Gopro so I will have new videos up in a few days.
Last day tomorrow!   Only 165 miles to go.
Scott


1 comment: